Friday, April 25, 2008

PPI

Hubby did it again!  PPI: Perfect Parenting Implementation.

Roll back to the other day.  Another trip to Target Eye Center to bend back son’s glasses into a shape that would actually fit his head.  He’s learning, SLOWLY, to take care of the specs.  But, when the call goes out to don a Power Ranger’s helmet or Spiderman mask, more often than not the blue frames find their way to the floor, and one ninja battle later they morph into a wire pretzel.

That night, son was acting up at the table and was sent to his room, where he threw the mother of all temper tantrums.  Tucking him in that night (after cool down, tears and hugs), he reached under his pillow and handed me his glasses, in three pieces.  It didn’t take special powers to know they were beyond repair.  He said he was sorry and admitted to destroying them on purpose.

My initial reaction was to pitch a fit.  For cryin’ out loud do you know how much that's gonna cost?!  I was exhausted mentally and physically.  His tantrum coupled with his sister’s crying over something else earlier had beaten me down.  It was the end of a long day, and I just wanted the kids in bed so I could have a few minutes of peace and a glass of wine.  However, I kept the volcano inside, and went to find Hubby.  I confronted him first with, “He told me the truth...”  Then, I displayed the fragments of son’s glasses.

Hubby was upset but calm as he laid out a course of action for us to take.  Son was to determine the days he would NOT be playing video games and playing with friends.  Then, he would get an extra day given back for telling the truth.  Hubby went to son, explained the deal and that was that.

It was like seeing an Ezzo book spring to life!  You ALWAYS know what to do when you’re calm and reading the blueprints, but when the situation hits you squarely in the face with adrenaline pulsing, can you do it?  You know the best course for you and your kid, but you’re tired, angry and they make such easy targets.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t “haul off” on my kids, but sometimes it’s easier to explode than to breathe and think it through before reacting.

Hubby was PPI!  He perfectly implemented the parenting technique in textbook style.  It was beauty to behold.

And next time?  Well, for me, leaving the room helped.  Seems to me that distance in the face of imminent eruption works well.  I’ll try to remember that the next time something happens, because something WILL happen again, and again, and again…sigh. 

UPDATE: His new glasses came in.  We'll pick them up tomorrow.  Son promised to take care of them, then added, "I will hit the pillow instead."  Good idea.

No comments: