Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's YOUR Beef?

What's YOUR beef? The ladies in the sauna today had much to gripe about. The sauna and steam room at our very upscale and very full of itself gym were down for 10 minutes. Ten minutes! I must tell you, dahling, the world was practically coming to an end!

I love my gym, don't get me wrong. We chose it because it was cheaper than joining both a gym and a pool separately. We got the two together for less than the total of each, plus we also have 24 hour access, indoor and outdoor pools and whirlpool spas, saunas and steam rooms (oh, you already knew that!), and a full fitness array...even a spa with all sorts of wildly priced pamperings from which to choose. It's an amazing place and everyday I go there I think I'm blessed, I'm lucky, and I'm wondering when they'll go bankrupt!

But, back to the beef! Now, these ladies seemed like nice gals, like caring souls, however THIS is their problem? The steam room and sauna issue?

Is it me, or does that seem a trifle trivial?

Pastors at my terrific church went to Kenya a while back and piped fresh water to the orphanage we sponsor there. Picture children laughing with glee and gulping down fresh, clean water pouring out for the first time. No more filthy, brown, disease-filled liquid in their glasses. Just fresh, pure original aqua God intended us to drink. I simply read the blog and saw the pics (jonathanbow.com) and I was moved to tears. Can't imagine being there and the joy that filled all those hearts.

But I'm off track again. The point is, how much of our life is made up of making OUR beef outta something small and inconsequential? How many times do we spoiled North Americans--as my Canadian friends like to lovingly lump us--gripe and moan about stuff we'll forget in a day...in an hour...in a few minutes?

If our discomfort with encountering injustice, poverty, et. al. ignites us to take action for the betterment of society, then what will spur on us coddled and indulged North Americans? Kinda makes me think that if what is rankling our souls is insignificant, our impact on this earth is going to be insignificant.

No comments: