Saturday, February 9, 2008

Christians Like Christ?

I was telling hubby this morning about a "Christian" virgin who wrote me years ago via my website (www.rebornvirgin.com) and admonished me and other "psuedo" virgins. Basically, he made the case for the correctness and loftiness of real virgins, quoting the Bible and bashing my RV philosophy.

Hubby is wise and said the Bible is really simple, it's all about redemption and forgiveness. Most Christians astonishingly miss that crucial teaching. Hubby was reminded of a Gandhi guote, which he paraphrased, but I Googled it this morning:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” --Mahatma Gandhi

Following Christ is at once easy and difficult. It's a simple concept to follow his lead, but a terribly complex execution. Remember, He told us to do two things: Love God, and love others as ourself. He knew it would be easy to love ourselves (that's why it becomes the gauge for judging our attitudes toward others). But, loving God and all those others? That's where it gets hard...especially the "loving others" part.

Speaking of which, here's a quote my pastor gave me:

"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." --John Andrew Holmes

I am merely a trifling exception.

1 comment:

Staceemaree said...

I love that Ghandi quote! I re-quote it all the time. Especially when I see people, who think they are Christians, doing things that would make Jesus cry... and finding some phrase of the Bible to justify it. I also remind myself, that it's a good thing God is forgiving, and understanding that people make mistakes. Sometimes BIG ones.