Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dems vs GOP


So, we're in the thick of political madness and it's only going to get worse.  The "he said/she said" mayhem will not cease until early November, unless we have another 2000 where the courts decide our President-elect.  Please, no!  

Many Christians say that Jesus would definitely be a...Republican...or a Democrat.  As if God cared about a particular party over another.  I don't think God says, the Jews are my chosen people and this donkey or elephant is my chosen political organization.  God is above politics.  Duh.  I mean, isn't the enemy running our political arena anyway?

Let's face it, there is the absence of God in both parties.  Those who support a woman's "choice" are intentionally ignoring God's sixth Commandment.  Those who do not protect the incredible resources of our planet are not being good stewards of the earth God gave us.

Now, there are some differences in philosophies that ultimately reach the same godly goal.  For instance, liberals want a big government to take care of the less fortunate, while conservatives desire more government cooperation with church and non-profit groups, and more incentives for people to work themselves out of poverty.  It's the old "give a man a fish" vs. "teach a man to fish" debate.  Same goal of helping the impoverished, just a different mechanism to make it a reality. 

I'm trying to keep in mind that I'm a Christian first, before I'm a politcal party member, and I need to look at the issues from God's view.  It's difficult because I'm such a strong conservative Republican.  But, I think we would all benefit if we asked, "What's the Christian stance?" not,  "What does my party believe?"

Some of the fervor regarding party affiliation can be likened to rooting for your favorite team.  We don the colors and symbols of our alma mater and cheer our team in the big homecoming game.  We forget to ask what's best for the country, and instead of asking questions, we simply desire to win.  The goal becomes victory over substance.  "We won, we won!"  But, have we? 

I hope that other Christians will join me in taking the time to reflect this political year on what's best for God's interests.  And, perhaps work to change that in their party, whether Dem or GOP, or Green Party, that does not jive with Jesus' teachings.    

No comments: